Having grown up in Canada snow has always just been a reality that I haven't really given much thought to (other than when it is inconvenient). Now I find myself in Seattle for Christmas in the worst snowfall in over a decade and for the first time in my life I've seen snow chains on tires. It seems a bit ridiculous since I am so used to the snow but I suppose our cities are differently equipped to handle weather. The city of Seattle has two-dozen snowplows compared to Edmonton's hundred and fifty plows and 87 sanding trucks. Suck it Seattle, Ha. Seriously guys the snow removal here is a joke. I know we complain in Edmonton but the city just shuts down here. Even church was canceled on Sunday.
I am pretty happy about the white Christmas here though. It is the first time I've ever been in Seattle with snow. Today I utilized the wet Seattle snow and made a snowman, something I haven't done for about 15 years. A few shots of Frosty; the little girl next door who helped by adding a mitten-full of snow to his tummy when he was finished named him.
All the neighbors have been stopping by to take pictures. One guy had a laser flash with him so I went out to mock him. In case you were wondering, yes that is a Starbucks cup in his hand, I am in Seattle after all. He is as tall as I am and I had to have a neighbor help me lift the second snowball onto the first. I didn't really think about how heavy it would be when I made it. His coffee bean mouth is currenently running down his face due to the rain and warm weather.
We've been here for four days now, watching Tv, eating sweets, shopping and sleeping. It was a beautiful (15 hour) drive down here, the snow and frost in Valemont was unbelievable. The trees looked like they were iced by a four year old who turned the bowl upside down when his Mom wasn't looking.
We stopped at a greasy spoon for breakfast here and it was -40 C. Ridiculous. My dad's truck had heated seats which are pretty much the most amazing invention ever, so we kept warm.
I'm happy to be in Seatlle, there is a lot of snow but it is warm at least. I built most of my snowman in just a cardigan and t-shirt.
-This corner of my room with my newly framed kitty print up, yay! (Below)
- My new-ish American Apparel hoodie. It is pretty much all I've worn when I'm not wearing work clothes for the past month. It's just so comfy and in this weather all I want to do is be warm.
- The way our street looks in the winter snow. I have a love affair with tree lined streets and am so happy to finally be living on one.
- My to-do white-board. I got it a while back at Staples, it is intended for kids to practice handwriting on but the loose-leafey lines on it are super cute.
- The fact that I am done shopping for and wrapping all my Christmas gifts. I am also enjoying the graph paper that Joel pilfered from the chemistry lab for me. It is so good for gift wrap (especially when paired with polka dot ribbon).
- My new black strappy winter boots. Also don't be worried about the length of my pants, I was pulling them up.
- The start of my new mini typewriter collection (yes, I am a Grandma).
- This Starbucks mug. I got it to replace the one I had that was recalled and it is so amazing. It has an open/close sliding button and you can turn it upside down without it dripping.
- The fact that I'm finally done my cover illustration for the New Years Eve issue of Vue. It is my first cover illustration and I was a bit stressed over the whole thing. This is just a piece of it.
- Whyte Ave avec snow and twinkle lights.
- My newly printed business cards. Now I have to decide, with or without rounded corners. Thoughts?
Things That I Have Not Been Enjoying
- Disinfecting the basement with bleach over and over again because our septic is repeatedly backing up despite many landlord/plumber visits.
- Paying $350 dollars for a dentist appointment (This one could also be phrased as 'not having benefits').
- The length of my hair.
- The hole in the back of my left bottom molar that I have to wait until February to get fixed.
- The fact that I haven't done laundry in a month due to all the basement overflow issues (also because I'm lazy and always wait until the last possible moment).
- The cold.
- Not having my own computer (Megan's is still on the fritz).
I have been following Heidi Kenney's blog for a while now and I really love the plush peeps she makes. I am always in awe of those who can sew and Heidi is in a league of her own. A few of her lovely little pieces...
Aren't they ridiculously adorable? She has some lovely little guys for sale on her site.
that I did an album cover? It was a while back but I wasn't allowed to show it until the album was released. It was an interesting process for me. I wasn't given a lot of guidelines, just the title so this is what I came up with.
The cover image (click on it to see it in more detail).
and the image for the inside cover.
He ended up not liking this so I had to re-draft (a first for me). He wanted something busier and more paint-ey. This was the final image he ended up printing on the cd's.
I think I still like the first one better but the customer is always right or something, ha. I was pretty happy with the fonts for both of the covers. I did them by hand and it was a new thing for me. As for album cover design I learned a lot and think my next go will be a bit smoother.
Happy winter week. I have more things to post so stay tuned.
I have pretty much been the worst blogger in the world lately due to Megan's computer not working for a while and the length of my to-do list. Anyways here I am back for a while and I thought I'd share some good on-line shopping ideas with all a 'yall. I did pretty much all of my shopping on-line this year, it is so easy and there are so many beautiful handmade things to buy on Etsy so I thought I'd help out you last minute folks. Here goes, the pictures are courtesy of each seller with a link to their shop below.
Acorn necklace, I like this one because it lays flat, there are many acorn necklaces on etsy that are cute but look like they wouldn't lay down properly.
I think this windmill t-shirt may be of the kind that makes you instantly fall in love with the wearer. Finding it seemed very serendipitous considering this earlier post. I would so love to see a boy wearing it.
Pink clutch from redrubyrose, I have actually ordered stuff from her before and I love it, it's beautiful and well made. I am currently using one of her divided pouches as a wallet.
Woodland pals stamp set from the small object. I've ordered from her too and she's fabulous as are her goods.
This ship shirt from cypressink, I always find boys hard to shop for but who doesn't like ships?
Chrysanthemum earrings from dangsworld. I owe my ability to spell chrysanthemum to Anne Shirley.
Laptop bag from track and field. I'm not sure how I feel about it not having a shoulder strap but I suppose you could add one, ooh, maybe in brown, that would be good.
Tea time gocco print by bridbird. This would be super cute for a Mom's kitchen.
Last weekend was a family trip to the mountains for the Stuart McLean concert (my Christmas present to the fam). I grew up in Canmore so it is always nice to go back, drink Starbucks and take a walk down snowy main street. I took a ton of pictures on my sister's camera but since she doesn't have a cord for it you don't get to see any of them. So sad. Also as inappropriate as it may be I have a bit of a crush on Stuart McLean. I think it was the tall skinny-ness that got to me, he also has huge hands, seriously, boat hands, it's weird. I bought this at the concert, so good.
I am Christmas-ing away working on presents, gift cards, letters, packages, commissions as well as an illustration for the Vue 'best of' cover. I've also been teaching quite a bit. To be honest I am feeling a bit stressed at the moment and can't wait until the holiday that I plan to spend in Seattle watching cable on my Grandma's couch.
I am a 27 year old Artist, Illustrator & Teacher living in Seattle. This blog is my way of sharing what is going on in my little world of arting and crafting. Thanks for poking around and I would love it if you left a note or comment. It seems to validate my writing somehow, ha.